Will I go to heaven when I die? Does anyone go to heaven when they die?
Many people question whether they really will go to heaven when they die. The bible is clear that the dead are unconscious in the grave, not enjoying bliss in heaven.
(Note: please click on each link as you read this document. Each link has a full page of supporting bible verses for the declaritive statement)
- Psalms 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.
People do not become angels when they die and watch over thier loved ones, they sleep in the grave. Some sleep waiting be be brought back to life when Christ returns, and some will sleep for all eternity, never to live again. Accepted believers will be made like the angels after the resurrection, not before.
- Matthew 22:30-32 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. 31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
- Psalms 49:8 (For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)
The only hope for man to live again after they have died, is by being baptized into the name of Jesus Christ with a correct understanding of who he is. Baptism is what brings us out of the grave.
- Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
- Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
You see, in the very near future, Jesus Christ will return back to earth to set up a world-wide kingdom that will never end, and will fill the earth with righteousness. This has been the plan of God since this world was founded. This plan cannot be delayed, circumvented or stopped. It is as sure as the sunrise every morning and just as unstoppable.
- Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
- Daniel 2:44-45 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. 45 Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.
When returns, Christ will raise the dead who have been baptized into his name. The dead who have been brought back to life, will then face the great Judgement seat of Christ and will have to answer for the conduct of their lives. Those who are found acceptable by Christ will be given eternal life, thier bodies changed to the appearance and constitution of the angels.
- Revelation 20:12-13 I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened…the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
- Luke 20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
Even then, the promise that God has made to men, is embodied within the promises made to Abraham Isaac and Jacob (booklet) (Specific Promises in Bible verses). God has promised Abraham paradise on earth, a planet permanently changed to be free of sin and death, not heaven. The earth, this earth is the reward of the righteous. Those who claim that God will destroy the earth are misusing prophetic verses referring to the change that will take place when Christ returns and replaces all the kingdoms of this earth. As the verses below show, God has promised eternal life on the earth to the righteous.
- Psalms 37:11 But…Meek shall inherit the earth…Delight in the abundance of peace
- Psalms 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell in it forever
- Psalms 115:16 The heavens are the Lord’s…But the earth he has given to the children of men
- Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth
- Psalms 104:5 Foundations of the earth that it should not be moved forever
- Ecclesiastes 1:4 But the earth abideth forever
As for heaven, the bible tells us that heaven is the abode of God, and instead of telling us all men go to heaven, it tells us “No man hath ascended up to heaven”:
John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
To finish this article, I suggest you read the booklet “The Key to Understanding the Bible” to understand what hope you have for eternal life. There is hope for life after death, but it’s not found amongst the fairy tales of the churches of Christianity. These churches changed the gospel of the good news of the coming kingdom of God to philosophies of error taught by men. The true gospel can only be found by a diligent study of the word of God. We invite you to join us in your journey to search out God and the hope of the promises made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob which are mentioned all throughout the bible.
If you wish to know more about the bible, Contact Us and we will set you up with someone to study with via correspondence.