Baptism is essential because it brings us out of the grave. We need to come out of the grave because death is a state of uncontiousness, not a existence in the heavens as angels. No baptism, no resurrection, no hope of eternal life. This is what is meant by the term "Salvation". Our lives are literally saved by baptism.
- Romans 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
- Colossians 2:12 12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
- Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
We Put on Christ at Baptism
- Galatians 3:27 Baptized into Christ have put on Christ
Crucified with Christ
Romans 6:3-6 Baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ
Buried with Christ
Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism...raised
Baptism -What happens when we get baptized?
1. Our relationship to God changes, we become Sons of God
- Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness...that we are the children of God:
- Galatians 4:5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
2. We become united with Jesus Christ - We from being “In Adam” to being “In Christ”. In Adam, we are condemned to death, In Christ, we have the promise of resurrection and the hope of eternal life
- Romans 6:13 ...but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead...
- 1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
- Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
3. We join the Abrahamic and Davidic covenant
- Genesis 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations...
- Isaiah 55:3 ...your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.
- Galatians 3:27-29 ...baptized into Christ have put on Christ...28 ..for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ..Christ's, then ...Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
4. We become heirs of the of the everlasting covenant by adoption and being grafted into the line of Abraham, becomeing spiritual Jews
- Adoption: Rom 8:15 but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
- Engrafting: Rom 11:17 and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them ...
- Heirship: Rom 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ...
- Heirs to Promises: Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
5. We are baptized into Christ’s death and receive remission of our past personal sins
- Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
- Acts 2:38 ...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...
6. We are buried in water, raised in Christ, and we commit ourselves to walk in newness of life and obedience to God
- Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
- Romans 6:11-13 11...12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God...
- Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God,...
- 1 John 5:7
7. We are reconciled to God from the estrangement caused by Adam’s sin
- Romans 5:8-12 ...while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 9 ...being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him...10...we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life...11..we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement. 12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
- Romans 5:19-20 19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous...20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
- Romans 3:23-24 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
8. From the alienation created by our own personal sins
- Romans 3:25 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
- Colossians 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
9. We are washed, sanctified, justified
- 1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
10. We are freed from the law of sin and death by the spirit of life in Christ Jesus
- Rom 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
- Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
11. We have the promise of resurrection to judgement
- 2 Cor 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus...
- Rom 14:10-12 ...or we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
- 2 Cor 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.